Wednesday, October 29, 2008

As I was taking care of a patient in the ER, one of the nurses came up to me and told me I was getting a little one that was stung by a scorpion. I really didn't think much about it. I've had 3 of my children stung by scorpions. Lacey was just 3 when she was stung.

I could hear the little one crying in her room. As I started walking to the room, the charge nurse informed me we were going to a trauma room. They were going to put a tube down the childs throat because it was starting to close from the venom of the scorpion. It was a organized, chaotic moment as they were working on the child.

As I was there helping this child something kindof changed in me. You know those times when you feel like you are in a fog. But it just kindof hit me. And I looked over at this beautiful little child, breathing thru a tube and watched as the mother knelt beside whispering to the child while stroking the childs arm and my eyes began to water. What a beautiful image that was for me. For such a awful thing that mother had to have been going through, she was there to let her child know she was there. How inappropriate it would have been to take a picture, I stood staring- making my own mental image of such a sacred little moment.

It reminded me of how blessed I am to be a mother and to have a Heavenly Father that is there to whisper to me... I just always pray that I am not to out ...that I'll be able to hear what he is saying.

11 comments:

Mindy Evans said...

Thanks for sharing!
Mindy

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

What a beautiful and sweet testimony. I'm so glad you shared.

Mom said...

I wish I could download those special "mental photos" to add to my own. Thank you for sharing....we become too busy, too ammuned sometimes to see them all around us. Thanks for starting my day off on a spiritual tone.

Mom

Lynnae said...

Thanks for sharing Dawn. I really needed to read this right now. It put things in perspective and reminds me of what is really important.

Jill said...

Mothers are a gift! So I knowing you have a Heavenly Father who loves us! What a blessing to have the gospel in our lives! You just had a tender mercy moment!

Catherine said...

how special. I have been having a lot of those moments lately. maybe heavenly father knew i really needed them right now. motherhood can be so overwhelming at times i forget how special it really is.

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

What a neat post! I ♥ hearing about your work. And your motherhood ;)

Penny said...

It is so easy to get wrapped up in our lives to stop and really take a look at what is important. What a great testimony. lots of love!

Shari Tate said...

I bet the experiences you run into working in the hospital will be life changing for you. You will probably witness lots of miracles, and also some sadness....hopefully more miracles!
Keep sharing!

MaryAnn said...

What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing it with us! I'd love to hear more!

Ali said...

I had to visit your blog after teasing you to update your blog, LOL. Really sweet post. I love that your heart is still open to these moments while you are on the job. Never let that go and you will be a GREAT nurse. Love ya!